Friday, August 31

A labor of Love

It's not often I will present someone with my entire knitting pattern/book collection and say 'pick something and I'll knit it for you!'. However I had neglected to get my sister a birthday present from lack of inspiration so I decided she could pick what I was to knit her instead.. Out of all the fabulous patterns I have available to me, hundreds of which I would happily knit myself she picked out a mere three which were to her taste. She expects me to knit all three at some point I think which is unlikely to happen but I hastily bought the yarn for project number 1.. the poncho.






This poncho, from the book 'Complete guide to Knitting and Crochet, A useful guide to knitting &crochet - featuring simple and fun projects'







If you have ever tried to knit anything on 20mm needles you will understand my pain and why this is a labor of love. They are clunky, plastic!, uncomfortable and they make you feel like you've just learned to knit all over again because they are so awkward. Plus I personally think that poncho's are a bit naff and this one in particular looks.. well I'll let you use your own imaginations. Anyway, what the lady wants.. the lady gets and she wanted this one in purple so here we have it, my WIP.

It's very quick to knit up when I can bring myself to touch those god awful needles but I've discovered a couple of errors in the pattern. Most importantly the yarn requirements seem to have been way off and I think I'm going to need two extra balls. Overall I'm not impressed with the pattern, it's the first thing I've knit from this book so I'm hoping I wont find similar mistakes throughout.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

That's a funny story. On the bright side, your sister is interested in your knitting! How is it coming?

roseygirl said...

Just stopping by to say hello I have been so slack lately with my own blog and also stopping by the blogs linked from mine, so I am trying to fix that :)

Glenda said...

Hi Emily!

Just stopping by to say hello - Seems like I haven't seen you in ages!

Hope you're doing well! (and that fiancé of yours too!) :)

pinkphish said...

Did you finish it yet? What else have you been knitting? Inquiring minds want to know!

Alison Friday said...

I have this book and I had a go at that poncho, mine was a disaster the yarn kept snapping;-)
Its lovely, keen to see your finished poncho